Monday, January 14, 2008

Who actually saved these?

I was looking through the old magazines in a used bookstore in downtown Salt Lake City. I enjoy the old ads and have come across awesome ads of Babe Ruth selling hair cream, Joe Tinker selling tires, Ty Cobb selling tuhbackee, Christy Mathewson selling Boston Garters. Then low and behold I find some Sports Cards Magazines from 2001. 3 Magazines for a dollar stack. And for some reason they are stiff. The card inserts are still in them. Now this is one of those oddball card find moments that just makes you smile. The "Whoa. I can't believe I just found this!" moment. Below is the sheet No. 3. How often have you thought you should have kept those promo cards you lost or traded in the past? Not only were they still connected to the magazine spine, all sheets were straight, not smudged and not bent in the least. As you can see above Ken Griffey Jr. is in the set. Look at him as he admires another home run. The cards are Fleer Greats of the Game design and are on thick glossy cardboard. Not the SI for Kids stuff. Not the thin ones like Tuff Stuff did last year that got bent and cut being delivered by mail. The sheet backs list each month's players. Six months total. The card backs only have 2000 stats for some reason. There is a pretty good selection of upper tier players of the day that hold up well today. No Barry Larkin though. Wonder what they were smoking to leave him out?


There is a reason I decided to take out the sheets. I am going to have them graded by PSA. That's right. Joe sells out! After carefully cutting the cards along the lines provided I am shipping them off to be slabbed.

Why?
Because I am going to do something unique.

What?
After looking through and being impressed by many sets on the PSA set registry I am going to be ranked No. 1 on the Sports Card Magazine / Fleer Greats of the Game Promo cards list. 1952 Topps? Old news. 1963 Fleer? Yawn. 1940 Play Ball? Booooring. 1992 Donruss? Been there. Done that.

What? What?
Seriously. Who else would even think about this? And who actually has all six sheets of cards? Not I. I still need the sixth sheet. So if anyone out there has it or finds it let me know.


Huh?
Yeah. I need the last sheet to have the all-time greatest
Sports Card Magazine / Fleer Greats of the Game Promo cards collection. I got the idea looking through sets like 2007 Finest Refractors that had 4 cards graded in the collection and are ranked No. 1 All-Time. Plus I will have the only Reds card graded by PSA from the set. Something to brag about at the National next year. Make a necklace and wear it Flavor Flav style. Or Pants Party 2.5 at The Westchester County Center January 19, 2007. Be There!

What about me?
Sure. Something for the masses.

February 2001 Sheet 1

1. Rick Ankiel - Cardinals
2. Jeff Bagwell - Astros
3. Barry Bonds - Giants
4. Pat Burrell - Phillies
5. Roger Clemens - Yankees
6. Carlos Delgado - Blue Jays

Sheet 2
7. J.D. Drew - Cardinals
8. Jim Edmonds - Cardinals
9. Darin Erstad - Angels
10. Andres Galarraga - Braves
11. Nomar Garciaparra - Red Sox
12. Jason Giambi - Athletics

Sheet 3
13. Troy Glaus - Angels
14. Roberto Alomar - Indians
15. Ken Griffey Jr. - Reds
16. Vladimir Guerrero - Expos
17. Tony Gwynn - Padres
18. Todd Helton - Rockies

Sheet 4 Braves Overload Sheet
19. Derek Jeter - Yankees
20. Randy Johnson - Diamondbacks
21. Chipper Jones - Braves
22. Andruw Jones - Braves
23. Greg Maddux - Braves
24. Pedro Martinez - Red Sox

Sheet 5
25. Mark McGwire - Cardinals
26. Magglio Ordonez - Whie Sox
27. Mike Piazza - Mets
28. Manny Ramirez - Indians
29. Cal Ripken Jr. - Orioles
30. Alex Rodriguez - Mariners

Sheet 6 The One I Need
31. Ivan Rodriguez - Rangers
32. Jeff Kent - Giants
33. Gary Sheffield - Dodgers
34. Sammy Sosa - Cubs
35. Frank Thomas - White Sox
36. Bernie Williams - Yankees

So if you come across sheet 6 or have it let's chat. It is all that stands between me and that gold star of PSA immortality.

1 comment:

dayf said...

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't think PSA will grade cut-out cards. They'll return them as 'trimmed' stupidly enough. I don't think they'll give refunds either.